Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Old man take a look at my life

Whenever I hear a song by Neil Young or Hanks Williams Jr.,  I am immediately taken to the front seat of my dads pick up truck as he drove me from my Mom's house in Apple Valley up to his place in Big Bear every weekend when I was a kid. These songs and the memories they hold are so powerful that I can see every detail of the drive, feel every bump in the road and the colors of those memories burn so bright it is intoxicating.

I guess boys idolize their dads, even gay boys with a dad that at the time was less than desirable to the outside world. My dad Henry "Hank" Godwin is a gentle giant these days. Aged by a hard life of sun, drugs, social stigmas and hard labor. We share the same blue eyes and every time I look in the mirror I cannot help but see him staring back at me. Will I be like him at his age? Probably, hopefully not. It's not that I don't love him, I do but a life like his is not something I would think would agree with me.

Anyway it really is interesting how sounds or smells and tastes can imprint your life so deeply. Music has always ruled my memories. I cannot wait for my soundtrack to come out, iTunes will be all over that.

No comments:

Post a Comment